Thursday, September 29, 2022

Your Rig and Where You Buy It

A little over a year ago, I was considering AirBnBing it around the country with the dogs. I rather liked the idea of a few weeks' stay here and there, getting to discover places I hadn't seen before, along with revisiting places I love. The more I considered it, the more I realized that I would likely not do well without my things. There's something to be said for familiarity and routine. So, the whole full-time RVing possibility came about. Only somewhat ironic, since I had joined an RV club to maintain my Texas residency. 


When it came to deciding on what kind of rig I wanted, I quickly realized there was so much I didn't know. I ended up buying a truck, essentially ruling out a motorhome, and focused on fifth-wheels and travel trailers. I thought I read as many posts on this topic as I needed to and that I was informed. I didn't read enough. Didn't research enough, despite what it felt like at the time. As a result, I am in this with a new rig that is wrought with problems, isn't the ideal setup for me, and I'm dealing with a dealership that stopped valuing me as a customer the moment I signed on the dotted line. 


I spent months researching different models, checking out different sizes in person, weighing the pros and cons of floorplans, and debating whether to buy a new or used rig. I perused numerous dealership websites, and read reviews on many of them, as well as the different brands of campers. I considered what might make the most sense for both my needs and potentially resale should I decide the RV lifestyle isn't for me. Despite 5 months of this, I still ended up in what I'm calling a shit situation.

Only after I purchased my travel trailer did it become clear to me I'd bought from the wrong dealership. I'd bought absolutely the wrong travel trailer. Even more, the wrong type of RV altogether. I don't mean I went to the wrong location and bought the wrong model camper; I mean, I should have done more research on the dealership and this particular camper before signing the finance papers. And it would be fair to say that I wish I had rented each type of RV I was considering to get a real feel for what I'd be most comfortable in. As it is, however, I know I can make the travel trailer/truck combination work, even if it isn't really in the ballpark of my ideal.


My issues lie around the quality (or total lack thereof) of the travel trailer and the total lack of customer service post-purchase. Even if I felt like this setup was conducive to my lifestyle and needs, the fact that I've had several things on it repaired before I ever really used it is disconcerting. It has me wondering exactly what I'll be faced with as I put miles under the tires. All the bumps and turns and driving cause wear and tear, and can do things to the overall frame. I'm going to do my best to tow this thing as gently as I can, though part of me thinks selling it down the road might be the way I go. 


All of that, on top of evasive and lackadaisical customer service, is enough to make me want to give up before I even begin. Numerous phone calls, appointment after appointment and still there are a few things that need to be replaced. I'm only too grateful that most of those are cosmetic and that I can continue living in this camper. The fortunate thing for whoever buys this trailer is that I will have worked out and fixed most of the substantial issues. 


Something I learned early in life (though I didn't embrace it thoroughly until the last decade) is to expect the unexpected. I’ve never really liked that saying. It’s basically like telling someone to never chill out or rest easy. Like there’s all kinds of shit just waiting to mess up your day; all it takes is to let your vigilance slip. It could be ecstatically happy news, but more often than not it’s something that causes you to suddenly sidestep, lose your balance and then try to center yourself again. All while trying to digest what’s shown up at the door of your life. It’s even more frustrating when it comes on the heels of making decisions you thought you were being tactical and informed about. 


I thought I was simplifying my life. Letting go of possessions and a tiring routine to pursue a year of the unknown. Unknown places with new experiences and new people. Time to explore and to think and grow in ways I likely never would if still bound by my old life. I expected there would be hiccups and issues I’d have to work through. Welcomed it even. What I didn’t expect was finding myself unsure of when I would be able to push forward after my first stop. 


My plan was to stay in North Carolina and visit my youngest sister for a month and a half. Time to spend with her, my nephew, and my brother-in-law. Time to explore what NC had to offer. Black Betty (my truck) had other plans. Plans she barely even hinted at in the 8 months we’ve been together. My eyes saw nothing but fun times and serious girl awesomeness as we traveled the country together. Bambalam has been a pain in the ass since day one, but I thought Betty and I would make the most of it and maybe even learn to live with this travel trailer's flaws. And that may well happen, though exactly when and how much traveling we'll get to do together is up in the air. For now, we'll just have to wait and see how things pan out.

No comments:

Post a Comment